We think it’s important to get educated and empower yourself to make the right decision for your body. It's scary and shocking, so we’ve assembled the facts we think it’s important you know.
1. The average woman will use 16,000 tampons in their lifetime.
2. Until 2019, tampon brands in Australia did NOT have to list their ingredients.
3. There is a serious lack of research conducted on not only the ingredients in pads and tampons but how they impact our bodies.
4. Dioxin (a chemical byproduct of the bleaching process) is present in most conventional pads and tampons brands.
5. Dioxin is considered one of the most toxic chemicals on the planet and exposure has been linked to cancer, reproductive harm and endocrine disruption.
6. Your vagina is a wonderfully sensitive and delicate body part; vulvar and vaginal tissue are structurally different than the skin of the rest of the body. It is more permeable and that means this area of the body is potentially more vulnerable to exposure to toxic chemicals and irritants.
Extra fun (AKA alarming) fact; chemicals absorbed through the vagina are easily and effectively distributed throughout the body, without being metabolized and can be 10-80 times higher than when the very same dose is given orally. Oh.my.god.
7. Doctors have alerted that even if your dioxin exposure from each tampon is very small, a lifetime of tampon use could theoretically increase your risks for disease (refer back to 16,000 tampons in a lifetime).
8. Most pads and tampons contain fragrances, which is a mixture of ingredients that can include any of over 3,000 different chemicals; and the components of any one fragrance are usually kept secret by manufacturers (sneaky)...
...and we think most importantly; you can do something about this…
All is not lost friends. Aside from continuing to educate yourself on toxins and chemicals that you may currently be exposing yourself to, you can look for alternatives that are available. Like ours!
MEL's pads and tampons are made from 100% organic cotton, free from chemicals (such as Dioxins), fragrances and polyester, you can rest assured that you will not be leaching chemicals into your beautiful delicate vaginas.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Knowledge is power, check out these articles, ditch supermarket sanitary items.
Dr Maggie Ney - Co-Director of Women's Clinic at the Akasha Centre, Santa Monica
Chem Fatale Report - Women's Voices